LVSC always needs new tutors to help our adult learners in need of our literacy services.
Become a Tutor - Change Someone's Life. Classes start on 5/4/2013
Volunteer Tutor Requirements & Commitment:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be able to speak, read, write and understand English
- Have a High School diploma or equivalent
- Attend a training workshop consisting of a minimum of 15 hours
- Commit an average of one hour a week of instructional time with a student for one year in a convenient, public place in Somerset, Middlesex or Hunterdon counties
- Demonstrate and maintain behavior which shows sensitivity and respect for the student, including use of appropriate language, refraining from attending literacy functions under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and refraining from harassing or threatening behavior
- Comply with LVSC's policy that neither students nor tutors shall transport each other in their own vehicles
- Comply with our policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, family status or disability
Tutor Training - When, Where and For How Long?
Training consists of 15 hours extended over 5 sessions over the course of several few weeks. Training is held at the PeopleCare Center in Bridgewater and prepares you to tutor adult learners in Basic Literacy & English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL). Attendance at all 5 sessions is expected in order to receive your tutor certification. There is a $50 registration fee, payable prior to the first session, which helps to offset the cost of the materials and resources you will receive during the training. The fee may be paid online or mailed to the LVSC office.
To complete Tutor application, click on the Apply button below.
To pay $50 Tutor registration fee, click on Tutor Fee button below.
What Else Do I Need to Know?
You will begin tutoring an adult learner with the support of a network of experienced tutors and advisers, your own classmates, and office staff whom you can call on at any time. You will be invited periodically to attend tutor events and get-togethers with other members of LVSC, and you will be kept informed through our newsletters.
SCHEDULE FOR NEXT TRAINING:
The Spring Tutor Training class will be held on: Sat - 5/4/13, Sat - 5/11/13, Sat - 5/18/13, Wed - 5/22/13, and Sat - 6/1/13. Classes are at the PeopleCare Center in Bridgewater, NJ . Saturday classes are from 9:00Am - 12:00 noon and Wednesday evening class is from 6:00 - 9:00PM.
Other Ways To Help
Conversation Group Leaders: LVSC offers English Conversation Groups for intermediate/advanced English language learners at various branches of the Somerset County Library System. We are looking for experienced tutors or teachers to lead these small, informal groups. Conversation groups provide an opportunity to build confidence and gain experience speaking and understanding English.